We are open from 11am to 5pm on these Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays
Located in West Sussex, on the eastern side of the A285, 1 ½ miles south of Petworth at the river bridge. Look out for the fountain and Union flag. Click the postcode for a map. Postcode GU28 0JE. Map reference SU 972194
Adults £3.00 Children (under 16) free
At Coultershaw you can:
- Watch the waterwheel drive the Beam Pump to produce an impressive water spout.
- Learn how the Beam Pump was installed in 1782 to pump water to Petworth House and town, 1 ½ miles to the north.
- See the Archimedes screw turbine using water to generate electricity.
- Visit the Engine House, and try pumping water with the hand pumps.
- Walk around the canal basin to see the remains of the 18th century lock, canal warehouses and stables.
- Look out for the wide variety of wildlife and you may see fish climbing the fish ladder!
- Explore the site using our FREE family nature trail.
Pre-booked groups of all ages and interests are welcome, including on days when the site is not normally open. A relevant introductory talk can be provided in the Warehouse, together with drinks and biscuits if required.
A programme of activities for schools and educational groups is offered. The heated Warehouse with toilets provides a space for indoor activities and talks.
For learning enquiries and bookings, email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the webform
See below to view a short film of the site titled ‘A Bridge Just Right’ It features footage taken during the new bridge structure was being rebuilt after the heavy flooding of Winter 2014.
Please consider making an additional donation